Ajax Talk - Asynchronous javascript and xml discussion board
 FAQ   Search    Usergroups      Register   Profile   Check your messages   Log in 
Signup now to enjoy a range of free membership advantages !!
Ajax Talk - Moderators Wanted
Geotagging & Tagging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ajaxtalk.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telejax
New one
New one

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Geotagging & Tagging Reply with quote

Hi all,

Compliments on your forum, i have been waiting for a good place to discuss all the new techniques out there these days.

My question is; can smebody explain me how geotagging and tagging works and how to implement this into my sites ?

Do you have to own a blog to use this or can it be done in normal sites as well ?

Ciao Cool
deejay
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Hi Telejax Reply with quote

Hi Jax,

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tags

I think you can compare tagging with the old
<meta name="Keywords" content="ajax, web2.0" />
tags.

However, services like del.icio.us have collected tags from numerous websites and they therefore serve as a kind of a "hosted meta tag" solution. As the major blog all support del.icio.us, this company is probably the biggest player on the tagging market. Yahoo will base their seo decisions and siterank algoritms on the rank of sites in del.icio.us.

Google launched "Google Co-op" a similar service to del.icio.us, so it is probable that future algoritms of the big search engines will take tagging or social bookmarking into consideration.

So what's the big difference between social bookmarking using tags or just putting meta tags into the header of your website ? Well, the big advantage is that the end-user has the power like in a democration. If many people like your site and they bookmark it via a service like del.icio.us or google co-op, your site will increase in its popularity. It is only logical that seacrhengines will rank your site better in this case.

So what is geotagging ?? According to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoTagging

So providing geographical details to your site, feed or image is geotagging, huh ?
Right, adding latitude and longitude coordinates, altitude or placenames should do the job.

You can directly add geotags into your webpage with the following tags:
<META name="DC.title" content="Ajaxtalk.com: discuss the new web" />
<META name="geo.position" content="50.23;4.33">
<META name="geo.region" content="NL-ZH">
<META name="geo.placename" content="spijkenisse">

Using feedburner you can geotag your feed from within the interface easily.

How do i get my coordinates ?
Using http://www.maporama.com u can easily find your coordinates and put them into your metatags. You can also use the geotagging wizard at http://geotags.com/geo/DMS3.html

After you added them you can add your url to some searchengines that support geotags, like geotags.com

Good luck !
telejax
New one
New one

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: wow ! Reply with quote

He deejay,

Thanks man !! Great answer, i used the geotags, but how do i use normal "tagging" in my site ?

Rgds, Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ajaxtalk.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: